A flirt pole is a toy that allows your dog to run and chase the toy while you stand relatively still. Great for those days when you need a rest or bad weather prevents you from a long walk!
- PVC pipe ½ – ¾ inch diameter, available in 5 foot pre-cut lengths at Lowes
- Paracord, or strong rope
- Washers, wider than the diameter of your PVC
- Toy – a water bottle stuffed in a tube sock is an easy homemade toy
- Cut a piece of cord 3-4 feet longer than the pipe.
- Feed the cord through the pipe.
- Slip washers over one end and tie a knot in cord, this makes a stop so the cord won’t slip through the pipe.
- Tie a toy to the other end and you’ve made a flirt pole!
You get to stand still while your dog runs and chases the toy. Be sure to let him catch it once and a while! This is a great way to increase your dog’s exercise.
In case you’re not handy, you can buy flirt poles pre-made on Amazon!
By Valerie Balwanz, PMCT, CPDT